I wrote a lot of text during my doctorate and especially in the scientific context texts are very important. In the following I summarized my findings from 5 years of doctoral studies. It may help some.
Only the ability to create and understand language makes us humans special. Our perception in society is also our language. Of course, other life forms, such as animals, are also in tune with each other, but this language serves more for mere information and is nowhere near as deep and complex as human language.
Reading Tip: Meaning of Language
With language you can arouse emotions and control the reader’s impression on the text. From open to populist – anything is possible. My findings are:
- Avoid superlative and unambiguous statements (all companies)
- Use an open language
- Avoiding causal relationships
- Introduction of clear terms, subsequent definition and permanent use of the single concept
- Put terms in the right context, e.g. for SMEs or companies
- Check terms for exact meaning beforehand and use suitable terms
- Prefer soft language: assessment, explanation, discussion, selected contents of literature, overarching question, …
- Stop words are not necessary (but ,…)
The most beautiful language can often not disguise the lack of content. It is therefore also important to show texts a good content with current reference, a suitable headline and clear reader benefits.
Reading tip: Literature analysis
The content of a text should always provide added value for the reader. After all, he spends his time on the text. I often experience that the promise at the beginning of the text differs significantly from the content. For example, a text promises to show me how to build more wealth, but actually only talks about the subject. My findings are:
- What I promise in the heading, my text should also adhere to (e.g. heading 5 tips on agility and I only mention 3)
- Making reference to current events helps the reader
- Do not simply mention other studies, but also explain them in more detail. Clear benefit: why am I mentioning this study and what is important to know?
- Summarising the results of other studies and mentioning that the main and most important aspects are mentioned
- For example, when I mention three aspects in the text, I should also mention all of them.
- Blank enumerations are not advantageous. Don’t assume: this is already clear to the reader
- Distancing yourself neutrally from results and discussing them
A meaningful structure helps the reader to find his way around. Of course, you too are often sometimes surprised by certain paragraphs. For example, the following content is surprising and it is hardly explained why there is talk of certain content at some point.
Reading tip: Introduction of a thesis
For understanding a text, it is important to see through the structure, because it shows how the lyricist has proceeded. A meaningful structure, i.e. the “red thread”, guides the reader through the text so that he can better record and understand the content. My findings are:
- An introduction should first travel roughly to the topic and then introduce it to the detailed topic in order to pick up the reader
- At the beginning of the chapter explain the structure
- Show openness at the beginning of a section: There are other topics but I focus on this topic
- Announcing and explaining surprising content to the reader, for example, I now explain three examples
- Content before form in paragraphs
- An important statement per paragraph
- Observe the altitude of my text: Formal vs. details (e.g. first talk about the world and then suddenly about a village in the world)
Good texts are important so that you can reach the reader and take it with you to the end of the text and captivate you. It is recommended to practice writing good texts, because we are constantly creating texts. Both daily in Whatsapp and in the office by e-mail. An open language with value-adding content with a meaningful structure helps each of us on a daily basis!
Download: Findings for good texts
Gibt es noch Fragen?
Falls es noch Fragen gibt, habe ich zwei Tipps. Ich habe meine Erfahrung aus 5 Jahren in der Betreuung von Abschlussarbeiten im Buch: "Empfehlungen für die Bachelor- und Masterarbeit" zusammengefasst. Dieses gibt es bei Springer und Amazon seit August 2020. Das Buch ist ein offzielles Fachbuch in kann damit zitiert werden. Weiterhin können Sie mich gerne mal anrufen. Hierzu einfach im Buchungssystem nach einen freien Termin schauen. Ich nehme mir jeden Monat einige Stunden Zeit um Studenten zu helfen.
Mein Tipp vor der Abgabe Ihrer Abschlussarbeit
Es lohnt sich immer eine Abschlussarbeit professionell Korrekturlesen oder auf Plagiat prüfen zu lassen. Der Vorteil ist, dass Sie dabei auch Feedback erhalten und den akademischen Sprachstil verbessern. Anbieter wie bspw. Scribbr helfen mit guten Preisen bei der Abschlussarbeit.Genderhinweis: Ich habe zur leichteren Lesbarkeit die männliche Form verwendet. Sofern keine explizite Unterscheidung getroffen wird, sind daher stets sowohl Frauen, Diverse als auch Männer sowie Menschen jeder Herkunft und Nation gemeint. Lesen Sie mehr dazu.